Miami Public Library
For the July
2019-June 2022 Strategic Plan
- Ground rules
- Next steps/conclusion/thanks
On behalf of the Miami Public Library, the Library Board, and the City of Miami, thank you for taking the time to be part
of this focus group.
Introduction of Facilitator and Recorder
Ask members to introduce themselves: Name, how long you’ve used this library (or any public library?)
We are conducting this focus group as part of the library’s long-range planning process, which we do every 3 years. I want to give you a brief outline of the steps in this process:
- Needs Assessment (community demographics)
- Surveys (useful statistics as well as useful comments)
- Focus Groups (at least 5 all answering the same basic questions)
- When these are completed Library staff, Library Board, and City admin will look over and discuss the results. These will be used to write the plan.
- Plan will be completed by end of July 2019 and will be posted on our website
– We plan to be done in 60 mins. or less and won’t take an official break, but feel free to get up anytime to use the restroom, grab a snack, etc. I want us to have plenty of time, but I also need to keep us on track.
We do have a few ground rules for the group:
- We want you to do the talking. We would like everyone to participate; after I ask a question, we will go around the table. If I haven’t heard from you in a while, I may even call on you.
- There are no right and wrong answers.
Every participant brings a different experience and different opinions to the table. All opinions are important, and we want to hear a wide range of opinions. Feel free to speak up whether you agree or disagree with something, but we do want to keep on track which will be my job!
- Please be brutally honest.
That’s the best way to ensure that this process helps the library provide the best servicers to the community.
- What is said here, stays here. Your input is being recorded, but no names will be attached to the report that we prepare as part of the process.
If this is a group of nonusers, ask: What might the library do to encourage you to use the library?
That’s all the questions we have for you. Do you have any questions for me at this point?
Thank you again for your ideas, your energy, and your patience.
This was an important step in defining the future for your library. If you think of anything else you’d like to
share, please contact me.