Edge is a great tool for planning. Edge enables libraries to harness the power of data to make informed decisions, better serve their communities and clearly demonstrate their community leadership role.
- A Long Range plan is a document that:
· Gives direction and a vision for the future.
· Strives to meet the needs of your community.
· Sets realistic goals.
· Communicates your goals to city leaders and community.
· Helps you secure funding for your goals.
Before you create your long-range plan, you have to know what your community needs and what your assets and limitations are.
Edge is an excellent long-range planning tool!
· Using Edge will help you understand your library's current resources, partnerships, and strategies for digital inclusion and technology as they relate to your community needs. And, importantly, the Edge program helps you design attainable goals.
· Edge is free to all public libraries in Oklahoma through a subscription from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries and funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Our ODL Edge consultant can help you use Edge.
· An updated version of Edge, Edge 2.0, became available for subscribed libraries on March 4, 2019 and offers more tools for planning.
· The Edge Assessment gets you started. You will measure your library’s resources, partnerships, staffing, and strategies. Remember, Edge is a tool, not a test! You’ll receive a report of your scores that will help you discover areas of strengths and challenges.
· Edge allows you to compare your Assessment results with those of other libraries, to see where you are in relation to your peers. In Edge 2.0 you can compare by library operating revenue, service population, state, and region. Knowing how your library compares can help you rank your needs.
· Based on the Assessment results, Edge 2.0 helps you prioritize areas for improvement and growth by developing SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time bound. Go from abstract to achievable when you have well-defined, practical goals.
· The Edge 2.0 Action Plan helps you further develop your SMART goals by creating concrete steps for implementation. Here is where you can set out a timeline and the exact steps needed to achieve the SMART goal.
· Edge 2.0 also supplies toolkits--more in-depth resources and steps--to help you accomplish your goals. These toolkits are in development and the first two are available on the Edge website: Leveraging Edge in Your Library and The Digital Inclusion Primer.
· Edge helps you figure out where you stand and provides resources and tools to help you plan for improvement.